Monday, November 24, 2008

Politically Incorrect

Recently I have been listening to a great sermon series called Politically Incorrect. This was a series that First Baptist Dallas preacher Dr. Robert Jeffress has been preaching on every Sunday. So far I have heard 4 sermons and they shout the unchanging Word of God. Its weird that I would listen to him because he is a Southern Baptist. If you know me you know those two words usually have me running and hiding. Until recently I thought that Dr. Jeffress was very closed minded and lacked compassion because of some of his stands he takes on issues that cause controversy. Also the fact that the media painted him as a bigot played a part because I bought into that mess. But if you listen to him you will realize that he is only preaching Gods Word as the Truth. He wants us to know the Good News of Jesus.

I have started to admire Dr. Jeffress because he has stood his ground on his convictions during this series. The messages have not been without uproar and outcry from those who do not agree. Dr. Jeffress and I are very similar on most views except one and that is the role of women in the church. But that is for another time. He has gone through verbal attacks, protests, and slander on news because of his series. I want to speak about a couple of the topics more clearly and give my input.

I listened to "America is a Christian Nation" the day of the election. Dr. Jeffress goes through the American history and expounds on the values that our country was founded on. I had to hear about horrifying accounts of how much our country was shifted for the worse. Rulings of the past 50 years have discounted the purpose of what the founding fathers were trying to accomplish. We have went from a nation founded on the gospel of Jesus to one that is divided. It is a sad state when our president-elect said during his campaign that the US cannot be a Christian nation because its filled with Muslims and Hindus. I am certainly not speaking out against any other cultures but it is disheartening that the person who is supposed to take an oath to protect our country is in danger of doing the opposite. I also have a problem with our continuing restrictions expressing our beliefs. We are unable to have a "Christmas" party anymore at schools and work. It will offend a non-believer. However if I were to speak out against Hindu or Islam I would be considered intolerant. Why is that? Today I called into "Live from Criswell" on KCBI because the host Dr. Barry Creamer was speaking about the constitution. He would ask what part of the constitution are we thankful for or what is endangered. I had said that I am thankful for freedom of religion but feel its in danger at the same time. In recent years if you say "Merry Christmas" or "God Bless you" it is cause for a lawsuit or worse. Also I had a friend who took her Bible to work and her boss told her it was offensive and not to read it in front of other people. What really takes the cake is a young 12 year old boy named Ernest called in on the same show I did. He told Dr. Creamer that you will get written up for bringing your Bible to school. ARE YOU SERIOUS!! I can understand if you were reading a book or drawing during class. You get correct disciplinary action for that. But if you are seen with Gods Word in your hand you get written up? That is not cool at all. As a side note I have to mention that after my call in to "Live from Criswell" just about every other caller spoke about freedom of religion. I feel like I struck a nerve in our believers to stand up for Jesus. When an elementary school is having a presentation on Islam and marquees and ads are saying "Happy Fall Festival or Happy Winter" that shows just how much we have slipped. Oh and I am not exaggerating on my last statements. One caller spoke about the Islamic presentation and the other caller spoke about the marquees. Also if you don't believe me go to www.barrycreamer.com and listen to the archived show. You will hear me and other callers speak about the sad state of our freedom of religion being imposed.

To expound on "America is a Christian Nation" Dr. Jeffress also speaks about the voting criteria when going into the booth. He speaks about 3 questions. 1. Is the candidate a Christian? To me that is important. Because if he/she is then that person is respecting the values that our country was founded on. Also with the presence of the God in our leader there is hope for us. If he/she acknowledges Jesus as Lord and Savior and applies those principals to how the decisions get made we are more likely to stand united. Proverbs 29:2 says "When the righteous thrive, the people rejoice and when the wicked rule the people groan." 2. Does the candidate embrace biblical principal? To go deeper what does he/she say about the sanctity of marriage? What does he/she say about abortion? Does he/she stutter and stumble and make comments about it saying its below their pay grade? By the way what does that mean anyway? That's for another time though. 3. Does the candidates private faith influence public policy? That means do they keep faith separate from their decisions? Do they trust in God to guide them? I will say that my candidate did not get into office but he and his running mate answered all 3 questions with a resounding yes. Whoever you voted for I pray that he/she had those principals. Because those 3 things will work out in the social issues that our country is experiencing.

So on to the controversial 2 part sermon I heard over the past few weeks. Dr. Jeffress preached 2 sermons called "Gay is not OK" and "What to say to those who are gay". This country has grown more tolerant of homosexuals in the past 20 years. I have nothing against gays and lesbians. I am just not into relations with someone of the same sex. I have to admire Dr. Jeffress because he took a very courageous stand on this issue. He preached it knowing that this topic would meet with some objection. The two part message spawned protesters outside of the church each weekend. It was a very peaceful demonstration. These people were speaking out against his message because they felt it was hate speech. They felt he was being cruel and bigoted. If they really listened to Dr. Jeffress's message they would have realized it was one of the most loving, compassionate, caring sermons on the subject. He gave intelligent insight to why homosexuality is wrong. He quoted straight from God's Word. He did not make this up just to make a certain group of people wrong. He did not sit in his office and say "Hmm how should I make them mad today?" No he felt the call to spread God's Word on this subject. Go to www.firstdallas.org if you want to listen to the message. He is unlike any other person who has preached on this subject. Anybody I have heard before has been rude, condescending and not Christ like. Dr. Jeffress emulates Christs love even when he is preaching about something this serious.

There are more sermons in the series. They are insightful and expose us to the truths us Christians should know about. I thank the Lord for opening up my eyes to Dr. Jeffress and not buying into media negativity.

Heavenly Father, Thank You for Your servants like Dr. Jeffress and Dr. Creamer. We are thankful for Your service through these fine men. I also want to thank You for Your unending love and grace. In Jesus name I pray, Amen

No comments: